Cover Art




Question, my blog buddies - do you ever buy (or check out) a book based on the cover art alone? Or do you maybe pick up a book based on cover art and if the back cover copy sounds good leave with the book?


I do this all the time. If I see anything with a lamp post, I'm all over it, or anything vaguely 20's or 30's, especially if it looks like it's set in India or Egypt in the 20's... or anything noirish. Usually this works out really well for me. Here are some that I stumbled on based solely on cover art and ended up loving:


So my question to you is - do you ever do this? If so, what sort of cover art makes you pick up a book?

5 comments:

Tia Nevitt said...

I'm more of a sucker for a great title. That's why I'm wanting to be all over that "Gaslight" series you reviewed over at Enduring Romance. Soon, soon! My reading stack is too high at the moment.

July 19, 2008 at 7:46 PM
Robin Lemke said...

Ah yes, I could do a whole post on titles! I think you'll love the Gaslight books. Let me know what you think!

July 20, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Kimber Li said...

Oh, yes, I'm vulnerable to book covers which are or resemble classic art. Yes, titles are vital too, Tia, and Robin did a great review! Put a classic art cover on a book with a totally zinger of a title and I'll buy, maybe even without reading the blurb.

July 21, 2008 at 5:37 AM
Melissa Amateis said...

Oh yes, I do this all the time. I love cover art.

July 21, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Kathleen said...

I will absolutely pick up a book at the store based on cover art. I can't recall one where I bought it solely based on that, but it absolutely influences me.

I know I bought this book based solely on its title, cover and blurbs.

July 23, 2008 at 1:26 PM

Post a Comment