DH is taking some time off work and we are staycationing. This is because they don't make hotel rooms big enough to VAcation with a 3 and 1.5 year old. I speak from experience. Nor do I love road trips with these ages. So, we've done movies and pedicures, the zoo, the aquarium, the really big park that they love, 4th of July fireworks and BBQ and some chill time.
Right now, I have 2 sleeping kids at 5:48 which means the rest of my night is toast, but I'm enjoying the peace at the moment.
Some things I've learned:
1) eating out with little ones is more work than making dinner. After making dinner virtually every day for the last year and a half (because before that I was pregnant and we did a whole lot of thai takeout) I forget this, then I think - hey, it's staycation, let's go to Azteca. No. Just don't. Take it from me.
2) places like zoos, with big wide paths that you can see down for a long ways are much better for little mystery men who like to run than enclosed spaces like aquariums with lots of displays that hide his little red head. He likes to lift his hand in a dismissive sort of salute, then take off. I think I need those shoes with wheels in them - do they make them for moms? They should make motorized ones for moms.
3) if a mystery man takes out his binky and rubs it in the dirt at the zoo, and you pour lemonade on it to wash it off, and he likes it, but doesn't actually see the pouring of the lemonade, he will rub his binky in the dirt again, then stick it in his mouth hoping for that lemony fresh taste - which is not the same as the taste of mud. I'm still trying to figure out how to disinfect his entire mouth.
4) otters might be the cutest animals ever created
5) results show tonight. Evan and Randi had a rough week. I tried to vote till 11:30 last night and couldn't get through. I am nervous.
The Vegetarian by Han Kang
11 hours ago