A window into my life


These are the sorts of conversations I have on a daily basis.

Miss Betty Boop:

Today I took the younger two out on a walk to enjoy the lovely spring day in Seattle. It may be the only one we get - gotta seize the moment. A lady passed us, probably 19 or so, kind of sullen, head down, so Boop asks... "Mom, can that lady talk?"

"Of course," I respond.
"No," in a patient, clarifying sort of tone, actually that very slow voice that kids use when they think their parents are being morans and they have to slow it wayyyy down so we can actually understand them, Boop continues, "I mean, can she talk to HUMANS!"
"Of course," I repeat, hoping the poor girl can't hear us. She's clearly having a bad day as it is.
"No," Boop tries again, "I mean, can she talk to humans in a human VOICE. Like WE can?"
"Yes. Dear."
I still wonder what sort of voice she thought that girl had.

Later - on returning from the park where we had a bbq with friends, Boop says from her car seat all dismayed, "I only have two hands, and I have three things! I have to carry two balls and a soda. How am I going to carry all three things?!"

Her daddy unbuckles her from her car seat and takes both of the balls. She then jumps down from the car with her soda can in hand and proudly announces - as her daddy walks ahead with her balls, "And that's how I carry three things at once!"

The Red One

Me: How's the playlist workin' for ya? (I put them to bed with a playlist on my ipod of kids stories and songs. It's my only prayer that Boop will remain anywhere in the vicinity of her bed.)
BB: Great!
Red: Great!
Me: Great!
Red: But if you do change it up tomorrow, would you put on one of the Robin Hood stories?
Me: Sure - you seem to really love Robin Hood - you know I could get you a book on Robin Hood.
Red: That'd be great, as long as it's a *real* book and not one of those 'shortened up from the real thing 'cause they think we can't read the real one' sort of books.
Me: uhhhh... sure.

That's of course exactly the type of book I was planning on getting. Not anymore.

3 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

Haha. I bet they will love to read these stories when they're older. :-)

April 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM
Blaze Danielle said...

What a hoot!! Your girls are too sweet!

April 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Melissa Amateis said...

Robin - Thank you SO MUCH for checking your Disney Store for me!!!

April 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Post a Comment