Remembering


As I'm catching up on my blog roll I'm reading lots of posts about 9/11. Especially about remembering. I've read lots of lovely and some chilling posts, but there's one thing I wanted to add to the chorus.

I don't know anyone who really believes we're at war with Islam. We've all got Muslim friends who were just as grieved as we were when those towers went down. But that doesn't make the evil of that day go away, because that's what it was really about, just plain good and evil. And we saw evil in sharp relief when the smoke rose out of those twin towers.

But we also saw an awful lot of good, really heart-wrenching, heroes of old kind of good, and I think when we remember, we need to remember those heroes. Remember that there was a 4th plane that didn't reach it's target because of some brave people on board, including a kid from Wheaton with a young wife who became a widow. That there was a 60-something year old man who stepped off the last elevator going down from the towers because there wasn't room for a young woman. So he got off, saying he'd had his chance to live and she should have hers. That the firefighters went up the stairs while everyone else went down.

At least, that's what I mean when I say I'll always remember.

3 comments:

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You're right, Robin. There are a lot of people to keep in our thoughts and prayers and lots of people to be grateful to.

September 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM
Jennifer Hillier said...

Wonderful post, Robin.

September 13, 2010 at 12:37 AM
Melissa Amateis said...

Excellent reminder to remember those people and all the wonderful acts of kindness on that day. May we never forget any of it.

September 13, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Post a Comment