Oh how the mighty are fallen!

I've been querying pretty consistantly - starting with e-queries - and let me tell you, those agents can get back to you pretty darn fast! It's funny to me that heading into the query process, armed with volumes of Miss Snark and 50 industry blogs in my bloglines, I knew "query widely", "don't take rejection personally", etc, etc, but already I'm sympathizing with those writers who've sent off firy missives after being rejected and those who feel like after 10 agents, maybe there *IS* something dreadfully wrong with their query letter.

Ugh.

And I'm not even up to 10.

Must I admit that I'm thinner skinned than I thought? I could put on an uber-confident front here in blogland, because that's what I know, intellectually, is called for. But honestly, it's already getting to me!

I comfort myself knowing that Meg Cabot received a rejection A DAY for FOUR YEARS before selling her first book - and so many other similar stories. Still - it's surprising how daunting it is.

OK, off to thicken up my skin a little bit. I'm thinking chocolate will help...

7 comments:

Renee' said...

Chin up Rob!
Hugs from your aunt.
Can't wait for out Thanksgiving Get Together!!!

November 14, 2007 at 7:50 AM
Melissa Amateis said...

It is very hard to send out those queries and then read the rejections. But pretty soon, it won't be a rejection, but a request for a partial or a full. Just hang in there!

November 14, 2007 at 11:21 AM
Kimber Li said...

Just think of it as a process, a journey. Keep learning and improving. Find mentors and co-aspiring authors. If you give up, you certainly won't ever have a novel published. If you keep going, however, you might just. Besides, you would be writing a story anyway. Wouldn't you? Might as well put that energy into polishing for submission and submitting.

November 14, 2007 at 4:47 PM
Cate Gardner said...

I hear you - my skin is pretty thin too, but I've found though a rejection may knock you down for half a day or so you always pick yourself back up and offer yourself for fresh slaughter. Keep plugging away :)

November 15, 2007 at 10:38 AM
Blaze said...

I hate being rejected too, and I fear that success for both of us will have to include much of it... :( Oh well, if you remember Jo March and Beatrix potter were rejected a bit before they were rich and famous! :)

November 15, 2007 at 1:27 PM
Blaze said...

I hate being rejected too, and I fear that success for both of us will have to include much of it... :( Oh well, if you remember Jo March and Beatrix potter were rejected a bit before they were rich and famous! :)

November 15, 2007 at 1:28 PM
Blaze said...

I hate being rejected too, and I fear that success for both of us will have to include much of it... :( Oh well, if you remember Jo March and Beatrix potter were rejected a bit before they were rich and famous! :)

November 15, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Post a Comment