Good ol' Gluten Free


The hula went off beautifully, I'm sure you're all dying to know. I think I just like typing 'hula' over and over. (And yes, Miss Boop needs this doll!) The big performance is in July and our teacher handed me fabric and told me where to get the patterns to make the dresses. You may still be able to hear my laughter echoing throughout the recesses of the earth. Then she mentioned she knew a seamstress... done.

In other news, I have flirted with a gluten free diet in the past, then something came along known as the Mystery Man Incubation Period and we cited irreconcilable differences. Basically, I got pregnant and could only keep down Hostess Twinkies and Ding Dongs. That might be why I have a few pounds left to lose. I just got the word yesterday that I absolutely have celiac disease and "gluten is poison" were my doctor's words. Ugh.

So, thank goodness for all the fabulous GF blogs out there - actually dairy free, too, since I have to take my 8 year old off dairy. I made some chicken tenders coated in crushed tortilla chips and coconut tonight with a spicy marmalade dipping sauce that were yummy, so maybe I'll be able to pull this off. I'm just hoping it doesn't affect my word count!

6 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

Hugs on the diagnosis. Fortunately, I think there are a lot more products out there now that are gluten-free. I'm sure they're more expensive, though!

June 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM
Jen said...

sounds good and I want the recipe! :)

June 4, 2009 at 2:17 PM
Alisa said...

So many good options now for gluten-free and dairy-free ... and those tenders sound great. Good luck!

June 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM
Tia Nevitt said...

The health food store is now your friend. Find the biggest one in your neighborhood and become a regular.

My sister made bread with peanut flower.

I've tried it with my autistic daughter, but it had an . . . er . . . unfortunate effect on her intestinal system.

June 4, 2009 at 5:17 PM
Anissa said...

Oh man! I know there are a lot of options out there, but I'm still sorry to hear it. Like you needed something else to occupy your time.

Hang in there!

June 5, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Robin Lemke said...

Thanks everyone - I've been down this road once before, so I know the drill, I'm just taking that big deep breath before diving in - and whining a little. Today I survived mostly on corn chips.

Jen - I linked you to the recipe! Just click on 'chicken tenders' in the post. ;)

June 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Post a Comment